purnululu/bungles camping - Walardi or Kurrajong?

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 11:14
ThreadID: 102146 Views:7432 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone
We are choosing between these two campsites to spend a couple of days later in May. Kurrajong reopens on 16 May, so we have the choice. Which one would be preferable taking into account:
- proximity to easy walks that give a good feel for Purnululu (we have three kids 9,7 and 5)
- shade
- views
- "nestled in trees" feeling rather than lined up with a bunch of vans.
We have a 4WD and off road camper trailer.
Thanks!
Carolyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry B9 - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:42

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 17:42
Hi Carolyn,
Camped at Kurrajong in overflow section last year in July.There was plenty of
shade there.No easy walks close to camp.Don't recall any being close to Walardi
either.Stayed two nights,toilets etc.well maintained.From mememory no caravans
past van park near h/way.
Barry B9
AnswerID: 510812

Reply By: Magga - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 22:32

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 22:32
I know Purnululu well having been involved with touring and lodge operations in the park.
Both sites are good bush camp sites. With good shaded sites generally. There are no ablutions but tap water is available. Toilet facilities are basic.

Walardi is closer to the iconic highlights of the Bungle domes, Piccaninny and cathedral gorge. (20 minutes). There is a good sunset viewing site nearby and close to the airstrip (highly recommend helicopter scenic flights -truly memorable.
45minutes to Echidna (must see) and Mini Palm walk (hard walk for children)

Kurrajong is closer to Echidna/Mini Palms but 45 minutes at least to Piccaniny/Cathedral. Groups stay here too (group area) so could be noisier

Personally, I would turn right past the ranger station and stay at Walardi.

allow at least 2-2.5 hrs to travel the 53km into the park. The track if fine but very winding and lots of creek crossings will slow you down too. Take it slow and easy.
AnswerID: 510829

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 22:58

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 22:58
Hi Carolyn

We spent a night at each to do the walks in close proximity early and late in the day, relaxing in the middle due to the heat for walking. Both were nice bush atmosphere campgrounds.

There were lots of birds at Walardi.

You can see the walks we did at each in my blogs for 2008.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510832

Reply By: WBS - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:24

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:24
I'd use both and spend one night on each.
Willardi to do the south end, Kurrajong to do the northern end. The means a far shorter commute to see the sights.

We stayed the first night at Willardi having arrive there in the afternoon. The next day we did the sites at the southern end before driving up north to look at Echidna Gorge plus the rest of the sites before heading out to Kurrajong for an overnight camp.Well at least that was the plan, but en route to Kurrajong, after having seen all the things we wanted to see, it started raining heavily, so instead, we bolted back to Warmun (Turkey Creek) and climbed into our very comfortable totally waterproof caravan. It rained all night so I'm not sure how that impacted on the creek crossings going into the Bungle Bungles and I wasn't prepared to find out.

WBS
AnswerID: 510853

Follow Up By: WBS - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:26

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:26
Its a shame I can't type better but you should get the drift.
WBS
FollowupID: 788965

Sponsored Links