Any plans to make the app compatible with apple car play

Submitted: Thursday, May 23, 2024 at 11:47
ThreadID: 147744 Views:1409 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know the response in the past has been it’s not compatible but are there any plans to update the app so it is compatible?

I love this app over all the others on the market but having to mount you phone or tablet in the car as it not compatible with the onboard system this day and age is somewhat antiquated.

Not sure if it is licence issue or cost issue but would be good to know if it is on the future development radar?
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, May 24, 2024 at 10:44

Friday, May 24, 2024 at 10:44
Wouldn't you still have to have your phone or tablet in the car to connect to apple play? The same as android auto..... Why not purchase a wireless unit for your car that connects to the phone. I simply put a 10 inch tablet in the car...Lot bigger screen for maps and can hold many gig of info, music, files, videos etc.
AnswerID: 645939

Reply By: buckster - Friday, May 24, 2024 at 12:42

Friday, May 24, 2024 at 12:42
Not the question I asked
AnswerID: 645941

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, May 24, 2024 at 14:25

Friday, May 24, 2024 at 14:25
I thought majority of apps needed a phone connection. Am I wrong? I,ll ask again...How do you use an app without carplay/android actually connected to phone?
FollowupID: 926362

Reply By: Member - Potoroo - Friday, May 24, 2024 at 15:28

Friday, May 24, 2024 at 15:28
I asked our beloved masters, who can speak for themselves, about this too a month ago and was pointed to FAQ Headunits, a solution which is going to cost me a fair bit of money for a function I can't verify, and doesn't directly address Apple apps and carplay.

For other's information, we connect our iphone to carplay whenever we travel and can use maps and other apps seemlessly on our apple carplay head unit, including voice. Don't need to buy anything else. The catch is, the app has to be carplay compatible to see it there.

Which sadly ExplorOz, the best of the Aus map apps, is not. To see this app, we have to mount the iphone into a visible position, which buckster and I agree is antiquated. And the phone is too small and quiet. If ExplorOz was carplay (and android?) compatible, it might attract a large carplay market, and I could use ExplorOz for navigation instead of the normal apps which are blissfully unaware of dirt roads, dangers and waypoints.

Of course, it might cost or be a hard development, maybe levy the carplay feature for existing app holders, survey the market?
Potoroo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645943

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, May 24, 2024 at 17:49

Friday, May 24, 2024 at 17:49
The situation was discussed in this thread.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645944

Reply By: buckster - Saturday, May 25, 2024 at 10:51

Saturday, May 25, 2024 at 10:51
Again not the question that was asked.
AnswerID: 645950

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, May 25, 2024 at 15:18

Saturday, May 25, 2024 at 15:18
Buckster, you are in the ExplorOz general Forum for 4WD matters.
You are probably asking about the EO Traveller app which is dealt with thoroughly by clicking on 'PRODUCTS' at the top of this page. On there you will find a link to 'Enquiries' or 'Help Desk' where you can communicate directly with the Developer of the app and get your answer from the Horse's Mouth so to speak.
I am trying to assist you but please don't tell me that this was "Not the question that was asked".

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 645951

Reply By: Briste - Sunday, May 26, 2024 at 09:22

Sunday, May 26, 2024 at 09:22
The question that was asked was are there any plans? I'm not the developers, but in the past they have said categorically no. For two reasons. First, it would effectively mean developing and maintaining a completely separate app. Possibly two - one for each app store. Second, they have said that the rules that Google imposes for mapping apps in Android Auto about how such an app would operate are so strict that what you'd get would be more like Google Maps that the EOT you're familiar with. Which would partly defeat the purpose. Not sure about the Apple store.

So those were the stated reasons, and I'd be very surprised if anything has changed. Having EOT on the head unit would be great. As the FAQ explains, there are two ways to achieve that now. Which is another reason why there are probably still no plans, given what would be involved.
AnswerID: 645957

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, May 26, 2024 at 18:57

Sunday, May 26, 2024 at 18:57
There are some general misunderstandings about CarPlay (and Android Auto)... CarPlay works great if you're looking for audio and messaging apps but in Navigation - it's a completely different issue...

The apps available to use in CarPlay and Android Auto are custom-made for the CarPlay/Android Auto system. The problem is the CarPlay/android auto system is NOT compatible with all apps and in fact Google restricted third-party apps from developing for Android Auto/Car Play for many years.

They now do (kinda) allow some third-party navigation apps in Android Auto only, but there are restrictions about what those apps can do. It still does not support ExplorOz Traveller and what it does.

For people who want to use our TRAVELLER app through CarPlay, there is already new technology that has been developed by some clever hardware manufacturers due to consumer demand to resolve this issue - we've been telling our users about it for the past 10 months or so since we heard about them - "Android AI Box Adapters".

These adapters work so easily and are so cheap it's the ideal solution. We posted a link on the forum the other day as we saw some on discount for $185 - that's far cheaper than replacing your headunit and is a great solution as the app gets installed on the box not the headunit and you can plug/play that box into any other headunit supporting CarPlay. What's more, if your current headunit gives you CarPlay wired, these AI box adapters give you wireless CarPlay in addition to full Android access to apps so its a great option with many benefits to the user.

The ExplorOz Traveller webpage has all the info you need about using the app on different devices including Headunits - check out the System Requirements and FAQ sections. SeeExplorOz Traveller webpage

Hope this helps - Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645965

Sponsored Links