Lester Paul Cain RIP

Submitted: Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 17:06
ThreadID: 147728 Views:1588 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The legend that used to run the Middleton Pub has passed away on 13th of May. After many attempts to visit his pub we finally made it the day he signed the papers to sell it. I regret never making it there earlier as Val and Lester were two of the most interesting story tellers I have run across in my travels.
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 19:25

Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 19:25
Lester’s service is at 11am tomorrow, 20th, in Winton Shire Hall.

He is being buried at the cemetery at Middleton on Tuesday @ 10.30am.

RIP Old cowboy.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645918

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 20:39

Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 20:39
Lester was a classic outback character who loved that country.

When we arrived at Middleton his response to us was polite but not fully engaged. I wasn’t sure if he was ‘listening' to us, just being ‘polite’.

When he realised that we had not just driven there along the bitumen like the majority of his customers, but had come across the country he loved via Lochern NP & the Diamantina NP he became far more animated & it became clear that he had in fact listened to *everything* we had said previously. He went on to direct us to a gorgeous but little used camp spot not too far away. A lovely bloke.

RIP Lester………..”yemmate".
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645919

Reply By: Member - Gary T4 - Monday, May 20, 2024 at 09:29

Monday, May 20, 2024 at 09:29
We have been to Middleton several times and met Lester. The first time we were there - two Englishmen walked into the bar with Lester standing there in his bare feet, shorts and t-shirt. They were on their way to Cairns on their BMW motorcycles after having just crossed the GCR and Plenty Hwy.
They asked for two cups of tea - one with sugar.
Lester returned with the tea and placed them on the bar. “Which one is the sugar?” asked one of the bike riders. Lester picked one up and took a large sip. He pointed to the cup still on the bar. “That one”.
The two Englishmen were horrified with pained looks on their faces. Everyone else was in hysterics!

A wonderfully unique outback character. RIP.
AnswerID: 645921

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, May 20, 2024 at 19:10

Monday, May 20, 2024 at 19:10
He mustered camels with a friend of my parents a long time back in his Mt Chalmers time. I never shook his hand.
AnswerID: 645923

Sponsored Links