RTT Mounting Behind Cabin

Submitted: Friday, May 17, 2024 at 19:27
ThreadID: 147711 Views:1363 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a Ford 2011 Ranger PK Dual Cab and I was hoping to mount an RTT over the tray.

I need it to be a hardshell for mounting on top of it and I'd ideally like it to be behind the cabin, not above the height of the roof. Ideally, I'd need quite a short tent for this, which comes to my issue:

I've found several shorter cantilever options similar to the Darche Double Dee and the 23Zero Yowie 1600, but I'm unsure of how or if mounting on these larger options would even be possible.

My tray is approx 1550mm long, and some of these tents can be around 1750mm, would I be able to have that ~250mm overhang over the rear? Would I be able to butt it up closer to the cabin? Is sliding the mounting around like that even an option with most tray racks? Could these tents be mounted sideways and have the ~250mm overhang over the sides of the vehicle?

It's quite hard to find stockists in my area so measuring in person or dry fitting before purchase is probably not possible

Thanks
Hex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, May 17, 2024 at 21:21

Friday, May 17, 2024 at 21:21
"Could these tents be mounted sideways and have the ~250mm overhang over the sides of the vehicle?"

No they can not. 150 mm is the maximum overhang. This document - Projecting loads - is a Qld document, but it reflects the Oz standards. It will show you how far your loads can project over the extremities of your vehicle.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645905

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 05:24

Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 05:24
You can have the over hang over the rear but not over the sides. 2.5mm is max width allowed overall on the sides.
AnswerID: 645906

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 09:02

Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 09:02
Bigfish, did you get up too early and get confused? The maximum overall width permitted for our vehicles is 2.5 metres (not 2.5 mm.) Have a look at the document I gave the link to in my previous reply. That document shows the maximum permitted dimensions of most vehicles expressed in picture form. Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 43/04 – Vehicle Configuration and Dimensions) 2006 is the Oz standards for vehicle dimensions in each state, my link is just a pictorial interpretation of ADR43.

ADR43 says you can overhang the sides of your vehicle a little bit.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926328

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 11:30

Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 11:30
Hex
Is it a dual cab TRAY or a DUAL CAB TUB. Many people call TUB vehicle backs a tray. Just to clear it up!

I would mount it length wise along centre of vehicle and have the base so the RTT and be extended. Yes it is higher than cab but a sloped wind deflector in front of it mounted on roof bars will direct airflow up and over the RTT. I have a 2011 dual cab TUB vehicle and have solar panels above. Maybe not as high as a RTT but it also has a defector at front of cab to streamline the panel and frame edges.

Deflector is the curved rear section of a Hyundai sedan, see wreckers for that, and trimmed to follow profile of roof curve. It is held in place by the solar panel forward frame section.
AnswerID: 645909

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 19:17

Saturday, May 18, 2024 at 19:17
be careful which way you mount your tent, to be able to access the zips and tuck in the material that it is made off easily ,before you finally zip up the cover bye
AnswerID: 645911

Reply By: tonysmc - Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 15:01

Sunday, May 19, 2024 at 15:01
Hi Jack (Don't say that at an airport) I was just speaking with a friend that has a RTT and I know they sleep crossways on the car. It doesn't overhang so I asked about the brand and it is a ikamper. Not cheap but apparently they are made to suit Dual cabs. They looked right into it before buying and found these were really good as they extend out to form a larger bed (King size) than what is normally under the hard top. Maybe exactly what you are looking for. I have no affiliation with ikamper, just know they are very happy with theirs. Tony
Edit; I just looked at the website and they show one behind the cabin.
AnswerID: 645916

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 20, 2024 at 07:15

Monday, May 20, 2024 at 07:15
Hi tonysmc,

Are you sure about your friends sleeping crossways in a King size RTT considering that the standard vehicle is only around 1,600 mm wide? A king size bed is well over 2,000 mm long, so if it was crossways, it would overhang each side by well over 200 mm. Even if it was longwise, a king size bed is still nearly 2,000 mm wide.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926340

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Monday, May 20, 2024 at 10:38

Monday, May 20, 2024 at 10:38
Hi McLaren,
Yes I am sure and asked them again yesterday before posting. As I said in my post "they extend out to form a larger bed (King size) than what is normally under the hard top" So basically once you lift the hard top the roof and floor extend out to form a larger footprint, so when packed up isn't as wide. Like an "expanda" caravan you could call it an expanda RTT.
Width when packed up is 1400mm externally and when opened up is 2570 externally and 2100mm internally. Have a look at the pictures and specs on the iKampa website, it shows them on the vehicle and a diagram of 4 people sleeping sideways.
FollowupID: 926341

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 20, 2024 at 16:47

Monday, May 20, 2024 at 16:47
Hi Tony,

Now I understand, I missed the point about it folding out.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926344

Sponsored Links