Thuraya replacement

Submitted: Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:33
ThreadID: 147630 Views:1588 Replies:14 FollowUps:30
What are peoples views on a replacement for my Thuraya desktop ornament? Inmarsat or Iridium.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:53

Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:53
I have an Inmarsat, had it for around 14 years and still like new.

It’s on a pre paid SIM, gave it a whirl and works a charm.

At the time I brought it, people said why did you not buy that over a Thuraya or Iridium.

I looked at the Iridium, but they were nearly 4 times the price.

Who is laughing now…..
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645777

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:53

Thursday, May 02, 2024 at 21:53
We have had an Iridium for over 10 years. Always there "just in case"! We have a Telstra plan and do pay quite a bit for it. Currently $45 per month. Have used the phone in Canada on one of our trips. Just rang my mobile from it and it worked well. Can't really comment regarding comparison between the two apart from saying that Iriduim uses low orbit satellites so the delay is minimal and there is good coverage Australia wide.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645778

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 05:42

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 05:42
Ivan,

We bought an Iridium 9505A, probably back in mid ‘90’s, when the new phone system in our area wasn’t totally reliable. Got the subsidy so only cost around $500. The initial battery didn’t last, bought one off internet & it is still going well.

Been on a Telstra plan all the time, so they would’ve made thousands $$$ out of us. Currently $45/month. As well as remote trips, I regularly travel to areas with no mobile service, like every week day, so is good to have reliable communication.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645780

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 06:55

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 06:55
Hi Ivan,

For what it is worth, when I researched SatPhones and networks back in 2017, I chose Iridium owing to their low orbit with better coverage.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645781

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 08:06

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 08:06
No idea if our Satsleeve Hotspot will be able to connect to the Thuraya 4satellite if & when they launch it, but I’ll hang on to the Satsleeve in case.

Wifi calling via Starlink is looking like a good option for us. No good for bushwalking of course, but we never carried a satphone when bushwalking anyway, only the PLB.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 645782

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Friday, May 03, 2024 at 19:22

Friday, May 03, 2024 at 19:22
Could Starlink also be thrown into the mix. Considering the costs of the other phones and service Starlink RV has the advantage of being able to be suspended when not in use
AnswerID: 645791

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 10, 2024 at 20:26

Friday, May 10, 2024 at 20:26
Heard part of an interview on ABC, Ivan, with CEO of Pivotel yesterday. He said they have 10K customers that they are attempting to supply an alternate handset for. They currently only have a few, might have said 1200 phones available at present? And awaiting supply of the remainder.
Don’t recall if he mentioned what system would be used? Iridium or Inmarsat?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926260

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 20:12

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 20:12
Excerpt from email received from Pivotel about their 'alternative offers'.

Pivotel Thuraya update and offers announcement.
We refer you to our notice on Wednesday the 8th of May 2024 regarding the sustained Force Majeure event that prevents Thuraya from providing services in Australia, and in turn means your Thuraya phone or data terminal is unable to be used in Australia. We have suspended your service and temporarily migrated it to a $0 service plan so your Pivotel mobile number(s) can be reserved at no cost to you.

In our notice we advised you that we are preparing a selection of special offers for you to move to another Pivotel satellite phone service. We’re now pleased to be able to confirm the offers available to you.

We expect the online systems to be in place to enable you to apply for your replacement service no later than the close of business on Wednesday the 15th of May 2024.

Our offer for you to move to the Inmarsat Satellite Phone Service
The Inmarsat satellite phone service uses a fleet of geostationary satellites. Service in Australia is provided from a geostationary satellite at 143.5 degrees east, northeast of Australia. Inmarsat also operates a compatible satellite at 83.8 degrees east, northwest of Australia.

When you return your working Thuraya phone, you can buy an Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 that operates on the Inmarsat satellite network for just $1,099.00. That’s a $500.00 saving on the usual price of $1,599.00.

We will also offer you a special rate on your Inmarsat service plan for 12 months from when you activate your service transfer. You’ll pay just $30 per month for the first 12 months – after that your service will move to our standard Isat 43 plan – that’s a saving of $156.00 over 12 months.

If you bought your Thuraya phone from Pivotel, or a Dealer who sourced your phone from Pivotel, in the 3 years prior to the Force Majeure event (on or after 15/04/2021), and you return it in working order with Proof of Purchase, you will be eligible for a further discount on your Iridium handset depending on the age of your Thuraya handset.

To be eligible for this offer you must return your Thuraya phone in working order and connect on the Isat Special Plan for a Minimum 12 Month Term. To qualify for the additional discount for a phone less than 3 years old you will need to provide proof of purchase.

Our offer for you to move to the Iridium Satellite Phone Service
The Iridium Satellite Phone Service uses a fleet of 66 satellites that operate in a polar Low Earth Orbit for maximum resilience.

When you return your working Thuraya phone, you can buy an Iridium 9555 that operates on the Iridium satellite network for just $1,299.00. That’s a $800.00 saving on the usual price of $2,099.00.

You also have the option to choose the Iridium GO! for just $1,249.00. That’s a $450.00 saving on the usual price of $1,699.00.

We will also offer you a special rate on your Iridium service for 12 months from when you activate your service transfer. You’ll pay just $40 per month for the first 12 months – after that your service will move to our standard Pivot 65 plan – that’s a saving of $300.00 over 12 months.

If you bought your Thuraya phone from Pivotel, or a Dealer who sourced your phone from Pivotel, in the 3 years prior to the Force Majeure event (on or after 15/04/2021), and you return it in working order with Proof of Purchase, you will be eligible for a further discount on your Iridium handset depending on the age of your Thuraya handset.

Click here to see a full breakdown of the further discounts available.

To be eligible for this offer you must return your Thuraya phone in working order and connect on the Iridium Special Plan for a Minimum 12 Month Term. To qualify for additional discount for a phone less than 3 years old you will need to provide proof of purchase.

Hardware Refunds
If you choose not to take up one of the special offers, and you purchased your Thuraya phone from Pivotel, or a Dealer who sourced your phone from Pivotel in the two years prior to the Force Majeure event, you can apply for a full or partial refund as follows:

Handset Purchased Date Refund Value
After 16/10/2023 100% of RRP or price paid. Whichever is lower.
16/04/2023 – 15/10/2023 75% of RRP or price paid. Whichever is lower.
16/04/2022 – 15/04/2023 50% of RRP or price paid. Whichever is lower.

To qualify for a refund your hardware must have been supplied by Pivotel, or a dealer who sourced your hardware from Pivotel. You will need to return your phone in working order and provide proof of purchase from Pivotel or a Pivotel Dealer.

Service Refund
If you have a credit balance in your account, and you choose not to take up an alternative service from Pivotel, we will arrange a refund for you. If you pay by direct debit, we will process the refund to the Credit Card or Bank Account you use for Direct Debit. If we are unable to process a refund this way, we will contact you and advise you of the steps to follow to set up your bank account or credit card details.

If you are eligible, you will receive your refund, or we will contact you about your refund within 60 days or sooner. You don’t have to do anything now.

What happens next?
While we have been working on these special offers, we have also been busy implementing the systems needed to enable you to apply to transfer your Pivotel Thuraya service and number to a replacement service on another satellite network.

We expect the online systems to be in place to enable you to apply for your replacement service no later than the close of business on Wednesday the 15th of May 2024.

For you to take up your offer in the online application portal you will need the login credentials for your Pivotel Account. While you wait for the offers and access to the online application portal, we recommend you check your login access.
Click here to go to Pivotel Selfcare and enter your Account Number and password to check you can login.
Your Account Number is at the top of this email, and can also be found on your Pivotel monthly invoice.
If you don’t know your password, or you forgot your password, click the Forgot Password link, enter your Account Number, and click continue. You will be sent a link by email to set a new password.
This is a major unplanned event and is impacting on call answering times in the Pivotel Customer Care team.

We will keep the Pivotel Thuraya FAQ page up to date and we request you check that page for current information.

Kind Regards,

Pivotel Satellite Customer Care

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 926272

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 07:59

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 07:59
Hi Cuppa,

That sounds to me like Thuraya will not be back on line in Australia in the near or even medium future. An expensive exercise for both the individual and the company.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926275

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 21:02

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 21:02
Well I'm screwed as I purchased my phone through Optus which has since dropped the service. We then switched to Pivotel for the service
FollowupID: 926285

Reply By: qldcamper - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 06:50

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 06:50
I'm hoping one of the legal firms jump on this as a class action.
Pivotel have a responsibility under consumer law for the products sold to be fit for purpose and be able to perform its intended function for a reasonable amount of time. It's up to the judge to determine what these parameters are depending on circumstance.
AnswerID: 645793

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 08:14

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 08:14
I really hope the scum who conduct class actions to line their own pockets and stuff up society get their just rewards.

Do you really expect anyone to be able to guarantee that anything and everything will perform impeccably forever.

Also, didn't I see somewhere that the equipment had passed it's expected life?
FollowupID: 926164

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 11:53

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 11:53
Get real regarding any class action. From another forum:

"Thuraya has advised Pivotel that they have suffered a sustained Force Majeure Event which prevents services being delivered in Australia. Unfortunately, this means services are no longer available and are unable to be recovered in the foreseeable future. Please visit:https://www.pivotel.com.au/thuraya-network-closure"

As soon as Force Majeure comes into play, you can forget any compensation. Copy and paste that link into a browser and get the story straight from Pivotel.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926166

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 12:09

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 12:09
I would wonder if Force Majeure is applicable in this case. Mostly it is invoked for weather events, war , riots etc.

Chers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926167

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 13:14

Saturday, May 04, 2024 at 13:14
Jim, I'm glad you included the word "mostly." There are certainly many other factors that come into play, particularly in international instances. If you read through the page Force majeure you will get a fuller picture of what is involved. In particular, look at the paragraph above the heading Purpose.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926168

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 07:48

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 07:48
Considering the Satellite has lasted longer than it’s expected life span, I am not sure any class action “will have much legs”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926176

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, May 17, 2024 at 16:38

Friday, May 17, 2024 at 16:38
Should they have been selling plans for a service that's past it's use by date? A bit like selling mouldy bread.
FollowupID: 926326

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 11:47

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 11:47
It's impossible to find anything that is close to the value of the Thuraya and Pivotel combination. The handsets were less than $1000 and on a casual plan, the first month cost less than $50, then $16pm. Everything else costs around $2000 ($1600 and $2100) for the handset and for a casual plan on Iridium about $115, then $65pm, at least you get an Australian mobile number, Inmarsat $50, then $43pm and an international number that costs for incoming and outgoing calls, costs callers and only available on a yearly contract (I haven't looked at prepaid yet). The two-way messangers are cheaper to buy, but the connection costs for Garmin Inreach and SpotX are comperable to the Satphones, the Zoleo is cheaper in purchase and connection costs. I primarily want a message service so this would be my preferred device atm, if I had to choose. However given the fluid nature of the sector with Starlink and direct messaging from mobiles, I think that it's wait and see for me as we don't intend any very remote travel this year and have a plb anyway. Good luck with your choices everyone.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 645807

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 13:10

Sunday, May 05, 2024 at 13:10
Warren

I have had Inmarsat for around 14 and never ever been on a contract, only prepaid and as you go.

The good thing with Inmarsat is you do not lose your number if you do not have credit on your phone, as I have not had any credit for at least 6 years, but you can still use the phone to text it and most importantly you can dial 000 with no credit in the event of an emergency.

There must be lots of people like me that only use and take the Satphone when going remote, so why pay a monthly fee if you are not using it.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926181

Reply By: RMD - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:29

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:29
Shouldn't that read, DASHTOP ORNAMENT? If DeskTop Ornament you are home and don't need the Thuraya at all!
AnswerID: 645817

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 19:56

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 19:56
Never sat on my dash. Now it's sitting at home as there is no use for it
FollowupID: 926213

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:50

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 09:50
Replaced my sat phone with starlink, takes a little longer to set it up but then have phone and internet services as well as TV etc.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645818

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 13:13

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 13:13
We don't use a satphone, SPOT or HF anymore. Got Starlink that's all you need. Also have iPhone 14 or newer for emergency call (sometimes - otherwise text) and online via Starlink for Wifi calling and fast internet using any smartphone, tablet, iPad, PC - anything with bluetooth connection to the Starlink Wifi network. Game changer for us. Most people we've seen travelling have Starlink - very common. It just works.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645820

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 19:55

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 19:55
How does an iPhone 14 work for emergency calls?
FollowupID: 926212

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 01:03

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 01:03
iPhone models 14 and above use the satellite network when there is no service for connection to emergency services and you can setup emergency contacts. More info published by Apple Here
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926215

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 20:22

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 20:22
iPhone is the same price as a satphone and it is emergency msg only and starlink is going to be way to costly.
FollowupID: 926244

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 21:37

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 21:37
I can see how Starlink is the best option for longer term life on the road, particularly if you are working and costs defrayed against income. Similarly for people who have as their home service. Even if you have a decent broadband service at home, if I have my numbers correct it's $170pm for a home and 'mobile' connection, when you add up the cost of a fixed broadband connection of say 50mbps at close to $100pm and an Iridium plan at $65pm plus $2K for hardware and expensive calls, Starlink is more than competitive if you want an ongoing service, if you only need a satellite connection for a few months then not so much.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 926247

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 22:12

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 22:12
David/Michelle said :
"iPhone models 14 and above use the satellite network when there is no service for connection to emergency services and you can setup emergency contacts. "

As I understand it that only provides text contact, not voice. However, even that is better than nothing.
As Roz is about to upgrade to an iPhone 15 for photography reasons that may be adequate for us to dump the Iridium and its hefty monthly fee.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 926248

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 09:15

Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 09:15
Samsung is indicating that they will be have similar ability in their next model release. They aslo indicate that they will be looking at provided other basic servcies via satellite but don't indicate what the capability migh be but as they are apparently using the same modem as Google will most likely be similar to what the google phones will have.

" the company said it simulated the 5G satellite communication via an Exynos Modem 5300, " which is reportedly used in the Google Pixel 7 phone. "

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926250

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 19:05

Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 19:05
Allan B From what I read you can only use it for emergency not for normal coms

"With iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Pro, you can use a satellite connection when you have no mobile and Wi-Fi coverage to text the emergency services, request roadside assistance and share your location."

You cant just send a text
FollowupID: 926253

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, May 10, 2024 at 09:27

Friday, May 10, 2024 at 09:27
Yes Ivan, that is what I said……"As I understand it that only provides text contact, not voice." and only to emergency services, presumably 000.

I also saw an Apple expression that this feature is only "available free for 2 years from purchase" (of the phone). No further details so I don't know what happens after "2 years".
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 926256

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 13:56

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 13:56
Any attempted litigation against Pivotel, were anyone silly enough to try , would be about exploiting the unfortunate situation for the litigants gain, rather than to ‘right any perceived wrongs’ . It would be akin to commencing litigation against David & Michelle because some outback road were closed due to weather conditions!

Pivotel are, & only ever have been the ‘middle man’. They have no more control over Thuraya than the rest of of us. In my view as a disappointed Thuraya customer I believe that Pivotel, in the circumstances have acted professionally & quickly in regard to their customers, providing timely information & as well as acting very quickly to provide refunds to customers in regard to account fees.

IMHO they have provided a model which far larger Telcos have been unable to manage when things have gone wrong.

I have zero beef with them.

AnswerID: 645821

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 09:28

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 09:28
Looks like Starlink is under threat as well. Whilst it is unlikely that any of its birds will be seriously singed, there is solar activity that is likely to cause severe interruptions over the next week or two.

From Solar storm splashes vivid colour, disrupts satellites

"The situation was putting pressure on Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite system, the billionaire entrepreneur said late Saturday.
"Starlink, the satellite arm of Musk’s SpaceX, warned of a “degraded service” as the earth was battered by the biggest geomagnetic storm due to solar activity in two decades."

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645866

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon B5 - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 21:38

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 21:38
My Starlink is currently working OK here in S/W of WA.
He who hesitates is lost

FollowupID: 926286

Reply By: Member - William B - Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 11:32

Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 11:32
At the moment I can't justify spending the amount of money on any of the alternatives.
I'll stick with my SPOT.
Not surprisingly there are a lot of Thuraya phone on EBay.
I hope people do their research before buying one.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 645887

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 20:24

Wednesday, May 15, 2024 at 20:24
I ended up buying a ZOLEO. We only ever sent messages with the Thuralya anyway
FollowupID: 926309

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 07:08

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 07:08
Geez Ivan, I thought maybe Zoleo maybe the answer, but at $32/month (and upwards) for just messages I may as well stick to my Iridium phone at $45. To be able to talk to emergency services seems a great advantage, especially if it is a medical emergency. Only needed it once, for an incoming emergency, but it was a blessing.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 926312

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 14:18

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 14:18
Could be time to just get an Aviation band VHF handheld.
FollowupID: 926317

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 15:11

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 15:11
Why would I want to talk to pilots? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 926319

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 16:18

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 16:18
Their normally bored silly and could do with a laugh.
FollowupID: 926320

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 21:08

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 21:08
Allan B: How much is an Iridium phone? How many calls and messages do you get in that $45?
I don't have a phone so we had to start from scratch. $345 to buy and $32 a month when we use it. $3.95 a month when we don't, to keep the number. We never used the voice function on the Thurayla because it was shit. And it isn't only text. There are other functions as well
FollowupID: 926321

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 22:57

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 22:57
> Could be time to just get an Aviation band VHF handheld.

Do you need a license to use these? I looked and it was clear as mud - seems like you need a license if you're in a plane but I couldn't tell if you needed one on the ground.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926322

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Friday, May 17, 2024 at 04:33

Friday, May 17, 2024 at 04:33
Yes they are restricted frequencies and reasonably short range.
However the last time I held a restricted radio lisense, or sat for it at least the rules stated that in an emergency situation it is legal for any person to use any radio equipment available, I can't see that having changed.
There wouldn't be many places in Australia where an aircraft wouldn't be in line of sight once or twice a day.
Still not a patch on our thuraya, we used it almost every day, my other half can tolerate extended desert trips if she can have regular half hour chats to our children.
FollowupID: 926323

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, May 17, 2024 at 08:58

Friday, May 17, 2024 at 08:58
Hi Ivan, you asked…. "How much is an Iridium phone?" Currently about $2k but I paid less several years ago. Even less again for the previous second-hand one.
And…. "How many calls and messages do you get in that $45?" I don't think there is anything rolled into that $45 but that is not a concern for me as it would only be used in an extreme emergency where cost of operation is not a concern. I'm not a gambler!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 926324

Sponsored Links